Having the best router can enhance your online life completely. From social media, to gaming, video watching, content downloading and streaming, internet has become an important source of life. But if you keep on experiencing interruptions and speed-lags, your experience can hinder a lot.
Hence, it is worth buying the best router!
A high-quality router works on the back-end to make sure you get the best of online world. So, if you are looking out for a premium router, which can be a brilliant addition to your network setup, it is worth considering some of the important aspects and check online reviews.
Remember, one size does not fit all, and hence, we have compiled a list of 10 best router under 150$. Just check them out and go through our buying and expert answers to finally pick the best one!Invalid table id.
1. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi R6700 – AC1750 Router – Best Overall
With the Netgear R6700 Wi-Fi router, nothing can stop you from advancing your performance. Integrated with efficient dual band Gigabit and Beamforming technology, it delivers reliable and fast connectivity to every area of your house.
Offering a speed of up to 1750 Mbps, it is designed exclusively for serious online gaming and HD streaming. It offers bandwidth prioritization and comes with the world’s top cybersecurity software ensuring your network is protected from virus.
Why is it Unique
It is a powerful design with 3 high-performing external antennas. Its Gigabit ports offer fast wired connections to your game box, computer, and other smart home devices. There is a single USB port that allows you share a printer or storage drive across the network.
Another great thing about this device is its circle smart parental control that allows convenient management of content on the internet along with device screen time. Using the app, you can set time limits for usage, device schedules, filter content, and manage all connected devices easily.
The buyers find it a capable router and a perfect fit for their home. It offers fantastic speed and increased internet speed to a great extent. Though the internal components are not of too high-quality, but with thoughtful management, they are enjoying lasting service with amazing results.
Setting up this router is absolutely easy as it comes with the Nighthawk App support. In addition to superb speed and coverage, it offers high-end security to your network. For these and more such reasons, this router is a great choice for all users.
2. Linksys AC6350 Dual-Band Wi-Fi – Best for Streaming
Next, we have a robust router by Linksys, which features wireless-AC technology. Offering incomparable connectivity and fast speed, it is a great solution for the well-connected houses. It enables you to steam videos, surf internet, and play online games on various devices.
The dual bands and external antennas offer an exceptionally reliable and strong connection without dead spots. For a smooth video streaming experience and fast connection speed, there is no better choice than this router.
Why is it Unique
The dual bands of this router deliver speed up to N300Mbps allowing data traffic to flow smoothly and with minimal buffering. Its Beamforming technology automatically detects and connects with smart devices leading to better wireless range, faster network speeds, and reduced interferences from other devices.
The four Gigabit Ethernet ports allow you to connect wired devices directly for convenient internet access and to share data on the external storage devices. The Gigabit technology offers a speed of 10 times faster than premium connectivity for optimal performance and speed.
The buyers find it as a great router that met all their basic home needs. The router rectified their hardware or connectivity issues and offered them stable connections. It offered them fast connectivity and exceptionally reliable and strong signals.
It is a great device to enjoy simultaneous dual speed and efficient ultimate media streaming. It allows fast data transfer of video, data files, photos for connecting devices across the network. Pick it to enable data traffic to flow quickly and with reduced buffering. We suggest picking it up if you run numerous devices at once.
3. NETGEAR Wi-Fi Router R6080 – AC1000 Dual Band – Best Budget-Friendly
If you are looking for a budget-friendly solution, which is equally powerful and efficient, then this router by Netgear is the one to go with. Equipped with multiple connectivity ports and enormous rich features, this router fits perfectly to every home.
Delivering fast Wi-Fi performance up to 1000 square feet and delivering combined speed of 1000Mbps with its dual bands, this router ensures you are able to perform all your online activities easily.
Why is it Unique
With this router, you secure the speed you want. It upgrades your Wi-Fi coverage and experience. Incorporated with Dual band streaming and high-powered antennas, it eliminates every dead spot of your house.
The intelligent bandwidth prioritization allows seamless connectivity to up to 15 devices while reducing interferences and enhancing speed at the same time. The best thing is that it protects your network with reputed WPA and WPA2 encryption and firewall protection. Moreover, you can even create separate guest network for your home to keep your private information safeguarded.
The buyers are impressed with its 4 Ethernet ports that offer quick and reliable internet connections to all your devices. With convenient app support and advanced parental controls, they are able to easily manage multiple devices and meet the needs of their family members.
This router perfectly meets the requirements of small to medium homes. You can use it as a router or a range extender. Being a budgeted option, it fits well to every home.
4. ASUS AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router with Aimesh – Best Mesh Network
Now getting flawless performance and compatibility would be easier than ever with this amazingly engineered router by Asus. It is effortless to setup and offers convenient control and management of the network.
Powered by Trend Micro it maintains security at par and ensures your sensitive information is always protected from vulnerable detections.
Why is it Unique
This is an award-winning design offering dual frequency of 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz and offering combined speed of 1900Mbps. It is a powerful unit to keep up with the present Wi-Fi demands. It is a pack of range, speed, and security while serving the needs of most of the families.
Using this device you gain exceptional Wi-Fi coverage throughout the house. It can efficiently handle multiple devices at once without disturbing network performance and connectivity.
Nice build quality, removable antenna, great look, and robust mesh network connection make this router a great treat for the buyers. They find it an impressive design, which worked exactly as stated. Hence, it is a great deal for their money!
It is a great router ensuring you gain smooth 4K streaming and gaming experience with fewer disruptions. It works with Alexa voice control and comes with guest access and parental controls. Ease of usage and reliability makes it a great device for every household.
5. Medialink AC1200 Wireless Gigabit Router – Best Speed
While most of the routers in this price bracket offer only Fast Ethernet port connectivity, this router by Medialink offers 10 times more speed. Designed with Gigabit ports and delivering a speed of 1000Mbps, it allows lag-free gaming and 4K streaming.
With this router, you can have complete control over your network. You can turn off the router’s lights if you find them too bright, or can close the network to limit usage by children. Hence, you can restrict access to the connection at any time you prefer.
Why is it Unique
The most amazing aspect of this device is that it can be used as a range extended as well with your current wireless network. It is possible by turning on its Universal Range Extended mode. Using it as an extender lets you cover larger areas and keep all your devices connected.
Furthermore, it integrates 2 high-powered antennas, Beamforming technology, and firewall encryption that keeps unwanted visitors away from your private network. You can create a separate guest network to enjoy absolute security of your connection.
For most of the buyers, this router is wonderful, which not only offered them great coverage but also splendid speed. They are able to quickly access stored music across devices and avail of the latest security features. Parents can manage bandwidth control and internet filtering for devices.
It is an excellent performer offering brilliant speed. It covers larger homes by focusing the wireless signals directly to the device. So, go for it if you want high speed with great coverage and utmost security.
6. NETGEAR Wi-Fi Router R6230 AC1200 – Best Performance
This is another router by Netgear, which will offer you an unmatched online experience and coverage. Dual band streaming and powerful antennas offer fast and uninterrupted Wi-Fi connectivity to every space in your home.
With multiple advanced features like QoS and dual frequencies, it offers up to 1200 Mbps speed. As a result, you can conveniently perform activities like gaming and HD streaming. You can even select the bandwidth among devices without experiencing speed issues or interferences and can connect up to 20 devices with ease.
Why is it Unique
Designed with four high speed 1G Gigabit ports, it permits fast wired connections to your various devices. A single USB port allows easy sharing of data with printer or storage device across the network. You will never experience setting up this device with your network as it comes with Nighthawk App support. Hence, the connection is availed in just a few minutes.
As far as security is concern, it comes with high-level WPA and WPA2 security encryptions. Also, you can create separate networks for guests and other users to keep your private information secured. Using the app, you can effortlessly manage parental controls like web filtering, website access, and turning off Wi-Fi.
The router works great for most of the buyers. It is fast and offered them exceptional performance. The setup is easy and they are able to connect most of their devices easily to this router. The only thing is that the software took some time for configuration.
If you are looking for an overall great router, which offers decent speed, adequate coverage, and impeccable performance, then this is the one to go with. It comes with almost all features needed for a flawless Wi-Fi network connection. Just don’t expect too much coverage from it.
7. ASUS Gaming Router Tri-Band Wi-Fi – Best for Gaming
Now, this router is definitely a great bet for gamers. Offering tri-band capability of one 2.5 GHz and two 5 GHZ bands each, it is a beast packed with the latest 802.11ac security encryptions. With 4 x4 MU-MIMO technologies, it delivers a maximum throughput of 5334 Mbps and an unbeatable coverage up to 5,000 square feet.
It is an ultra-durable design built-in with 1.8 GHz Quad-Core processor maximizing output from 8-ports and dual USB 3.0 optimized network connectivity speed and traffic. You don’t require any external device with it as it is equipped VPN Fusion that lets you run VPN and basic internet connection at once. Hence, all you gain is an awesome gaming experience and brilliant speed.
Why is it Unique
This router is engineered with ROG dashboard that offers you access to numerous exclusive features like Game IPS, Game Boost, Route-Optimization, and VPN Fusion. It optimizes route for the best gaming time while reducing ping time and utilizing WTFast Gamers private network.
Moreover, packs the power of AirMesh network that upgrades the firmware to conveniently gain high compatibility and establish a flexible and powerful whole-home Wi-Fi network. Supported by Trend Micro technology it offers multi-stage protection to your gaming network from all sorts of threats and attacks.
The buyers find it a great router with exceptional features and functionalities. It is really powerful network and perfect to establish a mesh network. It protects private information and allowed the buyers to enjoy a lag-free and amazing gaming time.
It is a gaming tri-band device with powerful processor and packed with latest technologies. The Game Dashboard comes with Game IPS controls and protects the network in real-time offering high data rates. These and other efficient capabilities make it one of the best routers for gamers.
8. NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 AD7200 – Powerful Processor
This is another awesome router by Netgear that is loaded with advanced technologies. Engineered with 1.7 GHz quad-core processor and 4 amplified antennas, it offers superb speed and functionality.
While its smart parental controls are easily manageable using the Nighthawk app support, the USB connections allow easy sharing of information through a printer or storage device. The best thing is that you can easily establish a personal cloud storage accessible from anywhere with the 2 3.0 USB ports.
Why is it Unique
Beamforming, Dynamic QoS, MU-MIMO, and Amazon Alexa voice controls are some of the advanced capabilities of this router. It holds great compatibility with most of the internet service providers and is recommended to connect up to 45 devices at once.
Its Ethernet ports allow smooth wired connections and let you reliably play games, stream videos, and connect the smart home devices. With this fast performer, you gain more than 4600 Mbps speed and up to 2500 square feet coverage.
It is slightly expensive router with fantastic results and capabilities. The buyers are impressed with its Ethernet port aggregation, strong Network performance, and other advanced functionalities.
It is a robust design with rich functionalities. Equipped with modern features and holding the power to maximize throughput and range, it is an ideal pick for those who want to enjoy ultra-smooth VR gaming, 4K streaming, and instant downloads.
9. ASUS Dual-Band AC1300 Super-Fast Wi-Fi – Best for Families
Available in a pleasing design and sleek body, this router is packed with the advanced 2 x 2 MU-MIMO technology offering combined speed of up to 1267 Mbps. You can therefore, easily perform all kinds of online activities without witnessing interferences or lags.
It is supported with the ASUSWRT web based interface that can be effortlessly managed using the ASUS Router app. Its dual band 802.11ac Wi-Fi offers concurrent speeds up to 400 Mbps and 867 Mbps.
Why is it Unique
This router comes with 4 external 5dBi antennas offering multi device capability and enhanced Wi-Fi range. It is highly compatible and renders best results.
The integrated USB 3.0 port enables easy sharing of external drives and flash drives with the network.
The buyers liked the signal coverage it offers. It precisely meets the needs of all their family members and offered them with enhanced performance. Beamforming works well too. They find it a great router for their family.
This router comes in a decent price bracket. It delivers great speed and reliable coverage. It is a perfect mix of features and performance catering to the needs of every home. Hence, it is the best value for your dollars.
10. TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 Ax3000 Smart Wi-Fi Router – Best Features
For those who don’t want to stick to a specific use and want a reliable performer packed with all advanced features, this router by TP-Link is definitely one of the best routers under 150 available. It is a Wi-Fi 6 technology offering 3-times faster speed and 75% lower latency. Its Intel’s dual core processor allows smooth and buffer-free experience.
With 4-stream Dual band, it reaches a terrific speed of up to 3 Gbps for faster gaming and streaming like never before. The TP-Link Tether app support allows setting the router in just a few minutes.
Why is it Unique
Using its revolutionary OFDMA technology, you can connect more devices than before and simultaneously communicate with ease one of it. It minimizes lags to let you avail of smooth entertainment while gaming, streaming, or video chatting.
The increased battery life is achievable as you can target wake time to reduce the device’s power consumption. It comes with advanced security features like robust parental controls, QoS, and next-level antivirus protection that protect your network always.
The buyers enjoyed the ease to connect more devices and up to 3 Gbps speed with their router. It reduced power consumption to a great extent and leads to less network congestion and faster speeds allowing you to enjoy an efficient performance always.
It is a great router incorporated with almost all modern features and technologies. Having it lets you enjoy the best of each and every aspect. So, pick it up if you want to enjoy great performance without experiencing any issues.
What Is A Wi-Fi Router?
The basic function of a Wi-Fi router is to establish a robust wireless network. With a router besides, you can access internet on all your Wi-Fi enabled devices.
Though there are wired routers also available, which offer stronger connection than a Wi-Fi router, but a Wi-Fi one offers you complete freedom from wired clutters. They can conveniently setup a connection.
If you are using a smartphone or an advanced device, then it is a must to have a Wi-Fi router. In fact, for most modern devices, a Wi-Fi router or connectivity is a basic standard.
Hence, it is essential that you go on purchasing a wireless router right away!
How Does A Wi-Fi Router Work?
The functioning of a Wi-Fi router is similar to that of a wired router, which is sending wireless signals from one end to the other at a faster speed and eliminating all lags. It converts the data stream within the internet connection into radio signals using their built-in Wi-Fi converter.
So, you can connect your tablet, laptop, smartphone, and other Wi-Fi enabled devices to a router for securing seamless buffering, content downloading, video watching, gaming, and efficiently performing all kinds of online activities.
Wi-Fi routers involve no wire mess, and hence, are directly connected to your internet service provider ensuring maximum coverage and range. They become a central point for network connection. Therefore, you need to pick an exceptional model.
What Does Wi-Fi Mean?
Wi-Fi is the name of a brand, which represents the IEEE 802.11b technology, which creates the basis of radio-based wireless networking.
Wi-Fi transmits radio frequencies at 2.4GHz or 5GHz, which is related directly to the internet speed. It means that if a network sends 2.4 GHz frequencies, then you can upload and download at a speed of 450Mbps. If the frequency is 5GHz, the network speed offered is 1300 Mbps.
These are the basic statistics, which may vary with locations and specific conditions. You can select a router with desired frequency to enjoy better network experience.
Tips To Pick The Best Router For Under 150$
- There are routers available on the internet by most of the internet service providers. You can buy the same with an extension to secure additional coverage.
- Routers with 11ac standards offer fast speed and are ideal to meet modern day requirements. If your ISP offers more than 100Mbps speed and you are using the Wireless N router, then it may hinder the performance. In this case, you need upgrade your router to secure a blazing fast speed.
- With randomly altering standards, it is difficult to network hardware forever. When more and more devices are connected to a router it increases the load on the device, resulting in performance degradation. Hence, when technology and standard changes, you need to change or upgrade your router.
- The significance of fibers is increasing. We, therefore, suggest picking a Gigabit router for future-proofing sessions. There are many routers available under 150$, which come with Gigabit Ethernet capability.
- It is essential to locate your router centrally and away from other gadgets and obstructions. This maximizes the wireless coverage.
Buying Guide To Pick The Best Wireless Router Under 150$
- USB Ports – With USB ports, you can easily connect multiple devices to your network connection. You can connect a flash drive, NAS, an external hard drive, and others. Most of the routers come with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. Make sure you pick a model, which incorporates at least one of the ports.
- LAN Ports – LAN ports let you make numerous wired connections. You can connect a device with the router using an Ethernet cable. Picking a modem with LAN ports is important as there are many devices available that need LAN port functionality, like Philips Hue and Samsung SmartThings.
Also, there are numerous networking units available, which let you to expand the number by integrating to one of the current LAN ports. Make sure you pick a router with at least 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Range – The way your router is played plays a significant role. It is best to place the location in the center of your house. It is essential to keep your router away from gadgets and obstructions. You may place it at a high place on shelf.
Still, if there are dead spots in your house where the router is unable to send signals, you can use heat map software. This software aids in maximizing the wireless network coverage. If your house is too big, we suggest buying more than one router.
- Types of Router Bands – There are numerous kinds of wireless routers available. It is essential to identify the types you require to be sure you optimally meets your wants and needs.
- Single-Band Routers – These routers function on a single radio frequency band. They are most affordable and use only a single radio band. They come with additional functionalities like Bluetooth capability and are ideal for researching or surfing online.
- Dual-Band Router – These routers function on two frequency bands, one with 2.4 GHz and one with 5 GHz. It is the best option available that meet the needs of most of the households. With this router, you can easily play online games, stream videos, and more.
- Tri-Band Routers – These routers come with advanced technology and they operate on three frequency bands – two at 5 GHz and one at 2.4 GHz. They are equipped with advanced features and are quite expensive than single band and dual band routers.
- DD-WRT Routers – Such routers come with a Linux based Third Party Firmware, which is not available in other routers.
- Gigabit Capability – The consumers must invest in a Gigabit router to future-proof their cash. This is an advance upgrade that makes a router more efficient. Gigabit routers offer 1000 Mbps speed and is available at a moderate cost. Routers with this capability offer fast speed.
- QoS – The quality of service determines the various sorts of traffic moving over the network and it lets you prioritize the network accordingly. This is of great use when you are downloading content or playing game or doing some important online activity. If you notice any lag, you can prioritize the network to set priority to each application using the bandwidth.
- Installation – Make sure the router you pick is easy to setup and use. It will not only save you time but will also save you a lot of money.
- Build and Style – If you want a router, which is a perfect addition to your home décor and at the same time delivers long-lasting functionality, it is essential to consider its style and build. There are multiple stylish models available. Just check for their build quality to ensure they offer long-lasting service.
- Safety Protocol – There are multiple safety protocols. The most famous one are 802.11n, 802.11ac, and 802.11g. You must check the protocol of router you select as depending on that it will offer security to your internet network.
- Number of Connections – Finally, make sure you pick a router that allows you to connect multiple devices at the same time. This ensures that even when numerous devices are connected to the router, you still gain high-speed and optimal connectivity throughout.
How To Setup A Wi-Fi Router?
For those setting up the router for the first time, things can be tricky. So, here we have brief out the easiest and fastest route to setup your router without professional aid.
Step 1 – Setting the Equipment
- First, you need to setup your new hardware. For this, connect the internet source to your router’s WAN port. Usually, routers come with a single WAN port in yellow color. Hence, you can easily identify it.
- Now connect the LAN port of your router with the computer using network cable. The number of LAN ports in a router may vary.
- Then, switch on the power adapter. The power adapter can be attached to the router’s power outlet. Once done, switch it on.
Step 2 – Access the Web Interface
- You can set your router through web interface. For this you require a computer with internet connection and browser.
- You also need routers URL and routers default log-in details for successful connection.
- This information is available in the manual. Once you get all the information, you must enter the IP address in the address bar of browser. When this information is entered, the web interface pops up.
Step 3 – Change Routers Setting
- There are some important settings that you need to change. The wizard comes with the web interface address and pop up automatically for the first time. It is a guide that instructs you setup process. You can exit the same and establish the router through customized settings.
- You can personalize the wireless settings, such as password, name, Wi-Fi protection features, and others.
- The LAN or Local Network settings can be altered by changing the default IP address. When the IP address is changes, you have to access the web interface again. Also, the IP address range can be altered and individuals can be added to DHCP reservation list.
- It is better to not change the WAN settings.
- Change the default password with your preferred password to log into the interface.
- It is a great feature that allows you to backup all current and personalized settings. The files are stored in a place, which can be retrieved anytime.
Step 4 – Resetting the Router
If nothing works fine, it is best to reset the router to default settings. Every router comes with a reset button, which is easily accessible. The reset button is available under the router and can be operated using a sharp item like a paper clip. Push the button for 10 seconds and then all your settings will be automatically set to default. Your router will now be one with basic settings again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Do routers affect the network performance?
A1. No, routers actually boost the network performance. But if you have been using a router for years then its performance declines. It is because the router needs to be replaced after some years.
Q2. What systems do routers work on?
A2. Routers primarily function on a Linux operating system. A large numbers of routers come with a web interface, which can be used for changing settings or managing the router’s settings. This is also useful for monitoring the usability.
Q3. Do routers under 150$ offer Wi-Fi6 wireless capability?
A3. Yes, there are some routers, which offer Wi-Fi6 wireless capability. One such example is TP-Link Archer AX50. This router comes with advanced new-generation technology and offers more reliable, faster, and better performance. But to ensure you get the most of it, your device must support 802.11AX wireless standards.
Q4. Does a Wi-Fi router provide security to the network?
A4. Routers come with password encryption protocols, like WPA, WPA2, and WPA3. These protocols impart great security to the network. You must go with at least WPA2 encryption, which offers an additional security layer to the overall network. Routers with WPA3 encryption offer high-level of security.
Q5. Is it worth buying a router under 150$?
A5. Definitely! There are various efficient routers available under 150$ These routers are budget-friendly yet incorporated with some amazing functionalities and features, which make them a great solution for medium to small homes. The best thing is that they come with superb capabilities and are perfect to avail of rich experience within a budget.
Whether you want to upgrade your existing router or you wish to install a new one, it is thoughtful to pick the best router under 150$ as it will not cost you much and still, deliver great results. By considering the above-mentioned aspects, you can pick the best router, which can be used as a wireless bridge for convenient internet access.
With routers, you can easily share data among devices and even store sensitive information. So, transform your home network into a hub to flawlessly stream shows, movies, enjoy gaming, and all other online activities. If you are looking for some low budget options then you can check this article on Best router under 100$.